Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dear Zoo

I have not posted in a while because first we had Christmas break and then we had snow after snow after snow.  But I made an effort to get a picture of something we did this week that I loved.  We have been learning about animals of all types and one of my favorite books about animals is Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell. Before reading the book I gave students the instruction to pay attention to the order that the animals came.  While reading I let the students announce what animal was in each container.  They loved joining in with me and feeling like a part of the story.  Then we sequenced the story using the following story props.  Next we matched the vocabulary from the story to each animal and talked about what each word meant.  There were some great vocabulary words for pre-k students like fierce, scary, and grumpy.  During centers students responded to a writing prompt that said "I wrote to the zoo to send me a pet.  They sent me a ______."   Students were told they could use an animal from the story or one they were familiar with.  I will include some pictures of students work.



No comments:

Post a Comment