Friday, March 28, 2014

Counting and Cardinality

One of the main clusters for pre-k students in the common core standards is counting and cardinality.  The student need to be able to counting to 10, recognize numbers 0-10, and build sets 0-10.  I have been working on these skills with them in many ways throughout the year.  Today I made a really fun and academically rigorous activity for my pre-k students that helps them to practice these standards.  I plan on incorporating it into my lessons next week.  I made lily pads that had 10 frames on them with the numbers 0-20 (I went past 10 because some of my students are ready for it).  Then I took a mini notepad with frogs on it and wrote the numbers 0-20 on them.  The students will count the dots on the lily pad and then match it to the correct frog with the number on it.  Below are some pictures I took before I laminated the materials.


Then as a follow up each students will draw a number and make a lily pad with that many dots on it.  In order to differentiate this activity I will give my working towards level students only numbers 0-10 and then my on level students I will give numbers 0-15 and my above level I will give numbers 0-20 to match.  When it comes time for the students to make the lily pad and put the set of dots on it I will have the working towards level pick numbers 1-5 and my on level pick numbers 6-10 and my above level pick numbers 11-20.   

No comments:

Post a Comment