Monday, March 24, 2014

Number Quilt

We read the book Cassie's Word Quilt.  There are a variety of follow up activities you could do to this book.  You could make a word quilt like the ones in the book in which students draw a picture of something and then wrote the word under it.  I wanted to go in a slightly different direction and have my students make a number quilt.  I have 15 students in my class so we did a number quilt 1-16 and I did one sample quilt square for the students to see.  I had some students absent so I did a few more to fill in the blank spaces.  Each student got a quilt with dotted numbers on them and I gave each child a number and had them trace and read the number and then count out a set of circle stickers and put them on the square and then decorate it.  I selected the squares for each small group starting with the lower numbers for my small group that is working towards level, numbers in the middle for my on level group, and the highest number for my above level group.  They all did a great job and really enjoyed the activity.  They have referred back to the number quilt bulletin board a few times and are very proud of their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment